Nigeria’s chances of appearing at the 2026 FIFA World Cup may not be over yet following new developments involving Democratic Republic of the Congo and recent travel restrictions introduced by the United States.
The Nigeria national football team had earlier failed to qualify after DR Congo narrowly defeated them in a tense African playoff final surrounded by controversy over alleged player eligibility violations.
Disputed Playoff Result Still Under Review
Nigeria’s World Cup dream suffered a major setback after DR Congo secured victory over the Super Eagles in the decisive playoff clash to qualify for the tournament.
However, the Nigeria Football Federation immediately challenged the outcome, alleging that DR Congo fielded as many as six ineligible players during the encounter.
The NFF later escalated the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, seeking sanctions or a possible reversal of the qualification result.
Despite the legal dispute, DR Congo strengthened their qualification credentials by defeating Jamaica in the intercontinental playoffs, officially securing a place at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
U.S. Visa Restrictions Create New Uncertainty
Fresh uncertainty emerged after the United States reportedly suspended visa issuance to citizens of DR Congo due to concerns linked to an Ebola outbreak.
The development has complicated travel arrangements for DR Congo supporters, officials and delegates expected to attend the tournament in the U.S., one of the three co-host nations for the 2026 World Cup.
Under normal circumstances, DR Congo nationals would apply for B1/B2 visitor visas through American embassies. However, the suspension has reportedly disrupted regular visa processing.
Even FIFA-related visa support systems and priority scheduling for ticket holders are said to be inaccessible to DR Congo citizens under the current restrictions.
Fresh Lifeline for Nigeria?
Although DR Congo’s qualification remains officially valid, the visa situation has reignited discussions about Nigeria’s slim chances of returning to contention.
Some observers believe the unresolved CAS case, combined with the latest travel complications facing DR Congo, could still influence the final outcome if the issues remain unresolved before the tournament begins.
Reports had earlier indicated that FIFA approved special visa concessions for fans from countries such as Senegal, Ivory Coast and Tunisia, including exemptions from proposed visa bond requirements.
However, DR Congo was reportedly not included among the countries benefiting from those waivers.
For now, Nigeria’s hopes depend largely on legal proceedings and administrative decisions rather than performances on the pitch, as the situation surrounding the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualification continues to develop.
See the updates below:
The United States has suspended visa issuance to the Democratic Republic of the Congo following the Ebola outbreak, raising concerns over travel plans for the national team and supporters ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers. 🚨🇨🇩
FIFA says it is closely monitoring the… pic.twitter.com/vHv7nslCEo
— Micky Jnr (@MickyJnr__) May 21, 2026
🦠🚨 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: DR Congo have cancelled their pre World Cup training camp due the outbreak of an extremely rare variant of the Ebola virus in their country.
• FIFA have published a statement saying they are aware of and monitoring the situation.
• The USA have banned… pic.twitter.com/LJXLBLIfaK
— The Touchline | 𝐓 (@TouchlineX) May 21, 2026